Monday, January 19, 2009

Dr. Appt.

I went to the doctor on Friday. He's a new doctor, in the same practice as my previous doctor. This guy, though, knows his shit. He apparently did his homework - he knew all about me. I can't even tell you how many doctors I have seen who never read my file. I guess the thickness of it intimidates them.

I decided to approach this doctor like I would a psychic - hiding my hands so they can't see if I'm married, being careful to answer only "yes" and "no" to ensure that I was getting an 'accurate' reading. Luckily, Dr. Baldy passed with flying colors.

"When were you told you had methylene-tetra-hydro-folate-reductase?" I was stunned and didn't answer right away. He smiled and said, "Pretty impressive, huh? I was on call last night, too."

I was told I have MTHFR (there ain't no way I'm gonna try to pronounce that mouthful) and Factor V Leiden after my third miscarriage.

"At the University of Washington in Seattle?"

Nice. Knows where I delivered Moses. Impressive. Yep, at UDub.

"And are you homozygous or heterozygous?"

Aha - good one. Hetero, on both.

"You've had one live birth, right? And where was he in the order of pregnancies?"

Yep - one live one - Moses. He was my number 2 pregnancy. Way before I knew I had to worry. We were blissfully unaware and had a complication-free pregnancy and birth.

"And how many pregnancies has it been altogether?"

This makes 7 - no, wait. 8 - this one makes 8 - 1 kid, 6 miscarriages and this one.

"Well I'm going to do all I can to make number 8 fall into the kid category. As you know, there's not a lot we can do. We can get you set up with blood thinners - were you on Lovenox or heparin before?"

Lovenox - one injection a day.

"30 or 40ml?"

40.

"That's what I would recommend. We'll do that again. Let's skip the progesterone suppositories - they really don't do much and they are kind of a pain."

Whoo hooo. Those suppositories are gross.

"We'll see you here every week for the time being, and I will pray that this one makes it.

***

I'm not religious, and I usually get skeeved out when people say they will pray for me. But for some reason, this made me feel better. It really made me feel like he was going to do all he could to help me. I think I found the right doc this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment